Black mold poisoning is characterized by vague symptoms, which make it difficult to distinguish from other ailments. Mold itself is not a health hazard. It becomes dangerous when it degrades the surface it grows on and releases toxic spores into the air. Once inhaled by humans, these toxic spores may cause muscle cramps, headaches, fatigue and sore throat. You can protect your loved ones from its harmful effects by preventing its growth in your home. This type of mold grows in moist areas and may appear as black stains on damp surfaces.
Getting rid of black mold is not a difficult task. You can even do it yourself if only a small portion of your home is affected. A lot of mildew cleaners and mold-resistant paints are sold in the market. Just be sure to protect your hands with a pair of rubber or latex gloves while doing this chore. Do not attempt to scrape mold that has dried off on walls and other surfaces. Toxic spores can get released into the air if moldy surfaces are not cleaned properly. Wear protective clothing to avoid skin contact. Using a respiratory mask and protective goggles is recommended as well.
A mixture of bleach and water is an effective alternative to commercially made mold killers. Use a solution made with one part bleach and 4 parts water. Adding a small amount of soap is optional. This solution is particularly effective on mold that has grown on non-porous surfaces, like concrete. Let it soak for about 15 minutes before washing it off. This should be enough to disinfect the contaminated area. Be careful of toxic fumes while using the bleach solution. Work in a well-ventilated area and make sure to dry the contaminated surface completely.
Black mold loves to grow in moist places. Check your walls for yellowish or brownish stains. These are impending signs of future mold growth. Cracked or peeling paint is not a good sign either. Feel the surface for any noticeable bumps and bulges. A bulging wall is a sign of water damage, and possible mold growth. Mold manages to survive even in the most inconspicuous places. You may want to check under the carpet and inside air vents for mold growth as well. The only way to deal with this fungal growth is by removing and changing the carpet.
If mold infestation has become so severe that it has reached the dry wall, you may want to hire a mold removal contractor to help you. Professional mold removal is required for any infestation that covers areas that are larger than 2 feet. If a severely infested area is caused by flooding or faulty plumbing, be sure to take the necessary steps to fix these problems. Once you have gotten rid of your black mold problem, prevent its recurrence by keeping your home well-ventilated. Refrain from using carpets in the bathroom and damp places. There are lots of mold-killing products out there. Use them to protect your home from future attacks.
If you’re interested in learning more about Black Mold Removal, please feel free to visit our website at http://www.yourblackmoldguide.com